IELTS Essay: Water
Some people think that the government should strictly control the supply of fresh water, as it is a limited resource, while others it should not be regulated.
Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
1. Many believe that it is crucial for governments to oversee public supplies of fresh water. 2. In my opinion, this is an advisable strategy though there are natural risks that must be taken into consideration.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The most significant drawbacks to this proposal are the possibilities of government malfeasance and incompetence. 2. Governments are notoriously bureaucratic organizations that often waste time and money while not greatly furthering the interests of the general public. 3. A pertinent example of this would be the lengthy litigation battles concerning the cleanup of polluted reservoirs in many democratic nations. 4. By the time any progress is made, the harm for some residents may already be irreversible. 5. There is the chance that the government is corrupt. 6. It is common for both elected and unelected officials to be vulnerable to bribery that results in prioritizing corporate and private interests above average citizens.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Include some short sentences.
- Finish development.
1. Nonetheless, government control of fresh water supplies is the best guarantee of public safety. 2. Today, in many arid nations, such as those near Sub-Saharan Africa, finding fresh water is a massive challenge. 3. Conflicts over limited water resources often contribute to political instability. 4. In an ideal world, a just government could ensure water is equally and fairly distributed. 5. Moreover, there are potential safety concerns. 6. Water can easily be contaminated by industrial factors including rainwater pollution, landfill seepage, and new procedures like fracking. 7. If governments regulate water with disinterested autonomy, they will be able to protect the general public from the excesses of corporate recklessness.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- This paragraph can be longer than the other one.
- Be sure each idea has support.
1. In conclusion, despite the potential that governments will poorly manage water supplies, they are still the best protectors of public health and safety. 2. This is why the supervision of water authorities is also key.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.