IELTS Essay: Watching TV and Movies Alone
People these days watch TV, films and other programes alone rather than with other people.
Do the advantages of this development outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Due to the advent of streaming services and personal computers it has become increasingly common for individuals to watch entertainment alone rather than with friends and family. 2. In my opinion, this is overall a negative development despite the conveniences it offers.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The advantages of more insular viewing habits relate to individual convenience. 2. Firstly, this concerns choice. 3. A Netflix subscriber is able to choose from a wide range of current and past entertainment without having to consult others. 4. This means they are more likely to choose programming relevant to their tastes. 5. Secondly, watching shows alone allows for greater flexibility. 6. An individual can pause, switch to another program, re-watch shows, and transition between a variety of portable devices. 7. Each of these decisions does not require negotiation with others and can be made depending on a person’s mood and preferences.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You can have some long sentences like this to really argue your point.
- Be sure that you develop two advantages.
- And both of them fully.
1. However, I believe the tradeoffs related to social cohesion are more pressing concerns. 2. Society has become increasingly insular in general due to the pervasiveness of one-sided technological interactions on devices such as smartphones and laptops. 3. This transition has loosened social bonds between family members, friends, significant others, and society at large. 4. In the past, a family might watch a television show together, joke about it, discuss it, and then have a common point of reference for later conversations. 5. This is now less likely and many consumers now spend an outsized amount of time alone, limiting their exposure to other perspectives. 6. Over time, the effects on mental health and social unity may be drastic and difficult to reverse.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
- Conclude with a strong sentence.
1. In conclusion, although watching shows alone has benefits in terms of personal choice, the drawbacks related to social interaction make it a negative on the whole. 2. Individuals should strive to limit the time they spend alone watching TV shows and movies.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.