IELTS Essay: Taxing Industries
Some people believe that increasing tax on various industries will reduce pollution whereas others believe that there are better alternative ways.
Discuss both the view and give your opinion.
1. Many today argue that the environment can be best protected by heavily taxing various industries. 2. In my opinion, though this has worked in certain cases, taxation is not as effective as more positive reforms.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The case for taxing industry is that it will discourage the worst practices of companies. 2. This has been evidenced in the European Union where enterprises are taxed at higher rates, oftentimes depending on their relative carbon footprints. 3. The result is that businesses are incentivized to adopt cleaner energy practices. 4. The companies that are greener can therefore enjoy both the benefits of reduced taxes and the public opinion boost concomitant with eco-friendly initiatives. 5. The caveat to this approach is that many multinationals are able to simply move their production facilities and waste to nearby nations.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You can sometimes include the counterpoint here too.
1. Moreover, there are more positive policies that can encourage, rather than discourage, the corporate world. 2. Taxation is a fundamentally reactive measure that supposes companies would not wish to inherently protect the planet. 3. A more proactive approach would involve funding green industries. 4. For example, companies such as Tesla have received billions in government subsidies to build stability for a green industry. 5. Over time, more companies will be able to establish themselves and turn profits and there will be less of a need to use taxes to discourage industries from polluting. 6. This solution will be longer lasting as it rewards good behavior instead of punishing bad behavior.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Continue your development.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, despite taxing industries having an immediate effect, a greater impact would result from subsidies for various companies. 2. Governments should pursue this more positive strategy.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.