IELTS Essay: Physical Exercise for Adults
Some people play sport when they are young but then stop doing physical exercise when they become adults.
Why is this?
What can be done to solve this problem?
1. It is more common for people to play sports and be physically active while in school than in adulthood. 2. The reason for this is limited time and energy to devote to sporting activities and it can be alleviated by prioritising health.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The reason adults tend to engage in less physical exercise is they are overburdened with work and family commitments. 2. It is true that some of the same pressures exist in school, but there are also allotted periods for exercise and easily available teams sports to join. 3. As an adult, it is individual initiative that must spur on exercise and this is often in conflict with other demands. 4. The average person works at least 40 hours a week and if they have a family, the majority of their time is already occupied. 5. Any free time they have is more likely to be spent relaxing by hanging out with friends, watching TV, or another hobby. 6. Therefore, exercise slowly becomes less valued and it is increasingly difficult to get back into the habit over time.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific detail as fully as possible.
- Continue to develop it with an example or a hypothetical example.
- Continue developing the same idea.
- State the furthest possible result.
1. The best solution for this situation is for adults to prioritise their health. 2. Parents and schools can no longer exert control over adults so the individual must exercise their own reserves of willpower. 3. For example, instead of getting up late, many health-conscious adults will go to bed early, wake up early, and get in some time at the gym before the workday begins. This sets the tone for the rest of the day and is a sustainable habit. 4. It is also possible to join amateur sporting competitions, such as a casual pick-up basketball league, in order to encourage consistent participation. 5. These actions require a concerted effort to relegate other tasks and organise one’s time with a view towards enhancing health, rather than reveling in the immediate gratification of less demanding pastimes.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Make your example more specific.
- Develop this idea fully.
1. In conclusion, hectic lives lay the foundation for less exercise in adulthood but these tendencies can be countered with determination. 2. This is a key challenge each adult must face and overcome to lead a healthy life.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.