IELTS Essay: Moving to Rural Areas
In many cities, problems related to overpopulation are becoming more common. Some governments are now encouraging businesses and individuals to move out of cities to rural areas.
Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Certain governments are now incentivizing moving to rural areas due to issues concerning overpopulation in cities. 2. In my opinion, despite the temporary disadvantages this presents for standards of living and economics, it is a long-term positive for environmental justifications.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Detractors argue these initiatives can harm businesses and residents. 2. Firstly, this is related to living standards. 3. Residents of cities typically enjoy better medical care, employment opportunities, and entertainment options. 4. For instance, a person who moves from New York City to upstate New York is likely to recognize an immediate decline in their daily quality of life. 5. Secondly, there may be significant economic issues. 6. Cities tend to be the economic centers of any given state or nation. 7. By reducing the concentration of industry in urban areas, there is some likelihood that innovation will be negatively impacted as the pool of potentially competent employees disperses.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Vary long and short senteces.
- More detail is better.
- Finish strong.
1. Supporters would claim that these drawbacks are justified by benefits for the natural world. 2. The current threat of cities is that they concentrate populations, increase pollution from private vehicles, and inevitably create urban sprawl. 3. These issues can be curbed if people live in smaller communities over a wider area. 4. Residents will then be more likely to care about their immediate surroundings. 5. Furthermore, over time the reduced density of both employers and employees will allow the authorities to better treat waste and manage pollution issues. 6. This is evidenced by the better environmental conditions in countries with fewer large metropolises.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
1. In conclusion, there may be problems related to quality of life and finance, but the advantages for the environment make this an advisable strategy. 2. Governments should continue promoting any such relevant policies.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.