IELTS Essay: Men’s and Women’s Sports Shows
Today, TV channels broadcast men’s sports shows more than women’s sport shows.
Why is this the case?
Should TV channels give equal showtime for each?
1. It is common practice for most TV networks to focus more on men’s athletics rather than women’s. 2. In my opinion, this is a natural byproduct of the history of sports and there should be more equal emphasis depending on the sport in question.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Men’s sports are more popular because they have developed further. 2. In the past, athletics was always the primary domain of men and women were relegated to more domestic roles. 3. Modern society understands this was discriminatory but the result, higher quality of play among male sports, cannot be argued. 4. A good example of this would be professional basketball where the male leagues, such as the NBA, feature some of the greatest athletes in the world, executing complex coaching schemes, and consistently showcasing high skill levels. 5. Women’s basketball, while it has developed considerably in the last two decades, is not the same level of entertainment though this may change in the coming years.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Vary long and short sentences.
1. As this situation may require time to remedy, only the ratings can justify equal programming time. 2. There are sports where this is already the case essentially, such as tennis, where women receive equal prize money and the ratings are comparable. 3. In the United States, this also applies for international football tournaments, where the female team regularly advances far beyond their male counterparts. 4. In these examples, it is warranted to give female athletics at least, if not more, broadcast time. 5. However, mandating this policy for all sports before they are ready and the audience exists is likely to produce a strong backlash and in fact hinder the progress of women’s sports.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
1. In conclusion, there are institutional reasons for the disparity in the time television channels dedicate to men’s and women’s sports and this should be corrected on a case by case basis. 2. Viewers will decide themselves which sports deserve the most attention, regardless of gender.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.