IELTS Essay: Meat
Some people think eating meat is bad for health.
Do you agree or disagree?
1. Many individuals eat less meat compared to previous generations as there is clear evidence it may not be nutritious. 2. In my opinion, although meat is often eaten in unhealthy contexts, it is generally healthy if prepared correctly.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who argue that meat is inherently unhealthy point out modern insights into nutrition. 2. Many meats, most infamously red meats such as pork and beef, contain fats that can build up and contribute to the leading cause of death globally: cardiovascular disease. 3. Added to this is the fact that meaty dishes are often saturated with heavy carbohydrates, salt, sugar, and other unhealthy fats like butter. 4. One standout example of this would be the cheeseburger, one of the most eaten meal items globally. 5. Not only is the red meat bad for heart health but the buns, cheese, and potentially other toppings only hinder short and long-term nutritional goals.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Make sure your examples are specific.
- And you fully detail the results.
1. However, meat on its own is crucial due to high protein levels. 2. Many vegetarians and vegans would argue that protein can be sourced from a variety of nutritious and vitamin-dense nuts and vegetables. 3. Though there is some truth in this, the levels of protein in other foods are low and there are certain essential compounds that can only be found in meat. 4. The best evidence for this comes not only from nutritional studies but also human prehistory. 5. For thousands of years, people have been subsisting on diets high in meat that have greatly contributed to the flourishing of the human race generally and civilization more specifically. 6. Consumed without unhealthy ingredients, there is simply no greater source of energy for the average person.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, though many meat dishes are high in fat, salt, sugar, and carbohydrates, meat itself is an excellent and healthy source of protein that has historically been a part of the human diet. 2. Individuals in this case as in all others should therefore pursue a more moderate approach.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.