IELTS Essay: Laws to Limit Working Hours
Fossil fuels are the main source of energy around the world today. In some countries, the use of alternative sources of energy is replacing fossil fuels.
Is this a positive or negative development?
1. Many nations are now supporting the adoption of various energy alternatives in order to reduce fossil fuel consumption. 2. In my opinion, though there may be short-term economic downsides, this is a decidedly positive development due to the implications on the environment generally.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who feel the sudden adoption of alternative energies is a negative point out the financial repercussions. 2. There are economies around the world that are currently dependent on exporting fossil fuels, in particular in The Middle East, South America, and Eastern Europe. 3. Many of these countries are still developing and have few other natural resources or industries that could replace a decline in the energy sector. 4. The economic effects will extend far beyond exporters though. Both developed and developing nations ranging from The United States and Vietnam to China and Russia exploit oil for private vehicles and various industries. 5. Substituting cheap oil for a more expensive alternative might result in economic catastrophe with wide-ranging repercussions.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. However, the environmental effect is overwhelmingly more important for the long-term health of the planet. 2. The economic results of less dependence on fossil fuels will cause short-term problems but the issues caused by climate change are also becoming a present reality. 3. For instance, there has been a rise in the number of cataclysmic natural disasters related to rising ocean temperatures and deforestation. 4. Even more troubling are the less noticed problems such as habitats being destroyed in remote areas like Antarctica and the Amazon Rainforest. 5. Beyond the animals becoming endangered and extinct, it is only a number of years before human life is affected. 6. This existential threat is the reason alternative energies are a pressing need.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, despite the economic drawbacks of a sudden shift to alternative power sources, this reorientation will have a markedly positive long-term impact on the environment. 2. Governments should therefore implement and bolster alternative energy initiatives.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.