IELTS Essay: Large Businesses
In the past, most people worked for small businesses, while more people now work for large businesses.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of working for large businesses?
1. The rise of large corporations has led to a fundamental shift in the workforce towards large businesses. 2. The chief advantages of this relate to opportunity and the downsides are larger, societal dilemmas.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Include your main ideas if possible in the introduction.
1. Proponents of big business can point to career advancement and the variety of roles within a large company. 2. Small businesses, by their nature, draw on a limited possible source of revenue that naturally caps promotions. 3. Large companies have nearly unlimited profit potential and can thus employ a large number of managers, executives and other high-salaried positions. 4. Moreover, a small business is more likely to be limited in the number of roles, while larger companies will have departments ranging from legal to marketing to research and development to human resources, all of which are potential destinations for motivated employees.
- Write a topic sentence with your main ideas.
- Begin to develop the first one.
- Develop it deeply and specifically.
- Switch to a second advantage and develop it fully.
1. The disadvantages of these large companies relate less directly to individuals and more to society at large. 2. Firstly, although there are more quality jobs available in big companies, the disappearance of small, local entrepreneurs means that capital becomes concentrated in the company’s chief shareholders, who are often living in other countries and already extremely rich. 3. Over time this has led to the division of wealth that defines the 21st century. 4. Secondly, as executive decisions become further removed from local communities it is harder to regulate large companies. 5. A good example of this would be the environmental cost of drilling for oil and extracting natural gas, which hurts local residents but continues unabated because those in authority are unaffected.
- Write another topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Develop that main idea.
- State the full results of your idea.
- Move on to another disadvantage.
- Develop it fully with an example.
1. In conclusion, the opportunities provided by big business do not outweigh the negative potential for all of society when power becomes concentrated and distant. 2. It is therefore important to check the reach of corporations and empower individuals.
- Summarise your main ideas and choose a side.
- Include a final thought.