IELTS Essay: International Stars and Historic Figures
Many young people today know more about international pop or movie stars than about famous people in the history of their own country.
Why is this?
What can be done to increase young people’s interest in famous people in the history of their country?
1. Younger generations today are often more interested in international celebrities rather than figures from their country’s past. 2. In my opinion, this is a natural tendency related to mass media and can be mitigated by improving history lessons in schools.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Younger people today organically gravitate towards individuals they resonate with and see in entertainment. 2. This applies equally to those in the film and music industries. 3. For example, one of the most popular singers for the last decade has been Taylor Swift, an artist who prolifically releases albums, updates her Instagram, and is generally present online and in the entertainment world. 4. Young people listen to her songs and identify with her and then follow her personal life closely in order to enjoy a vicarious, uplifting feeling. 5. This stands in marked contrast to historical figures who no longer contribute or offer any present value.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Start a second method.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. This tendency to value current stars can be countered with more engaging history classes. 2. History lessons in most contexts focus on dry facts and propaganda. 3. However, there are historians who can enliven historical events such as in Robert Caro’s non-fiction or Hilary Mantel’s historical fiction. 4. If students were introduced to passages from those sources, there is a stronger likelihood that it would instill in them a lifelong passion for the study of history and the figures that have shaped our current world. 5. If such lessons were combined with more relevant current events lessons, then students might be more compelled to understand, respect, and continue researching great historical actors.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
1. In conclusion, though there is a natural inclination to pay more attention to contemporary pop culture figures, an emphasis on quality texts could encourage young people to care more about individuals from the past. 2. This will not cause a seismic shift but could have a marginal impact.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.