IELTS Essay: Harder to Study at School
Many students find it is harder to study at university or college compared to when they were in grade school.
Why is this?
What are some possible solutions for this problem?
1. Many university students find concentrating on their new academic life considerably more challenging than past schooling. 2. In my opinion, this is typically due to the altered structure of university teaching and the best solutions are to prepare and support students in the transition.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The primary cause of a lack of concentration at university is adjustment to novel ways of learning. 2. In high school or secondary school, students fall into a set pattern of daily classes and homework assignments. 3. This changes greatly depending on the pedagogical techniques of the university in question. 4. Most university courses will only meet once or twice a week and the workload outside the classroom is larger and may include writing long essays and reading entire books. 5. Students must therefore have the self-discipline to work mostly on their own and then be prepared for more rigorous discussion than they are used to with professors and other students.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Stay focused on the same main idea.
1. The solutions to the problem mentioned above involve the activity of high schools and universities. 2. For high school students who will be moving on to higher education, it is important that there are courses offered that roughly simulate the rigor of university. 3. An example of this would be the AP courses on offer at most American high schools. 4. Additionally, university professors play a key role, particularly freshman year. 5. Professors must be patient but also strict in ensuring students understand their responsibilities. 6. This could entail simple awareness raising related to how to manage their time effectively or clear illustrations of the standards required for academic comprehension and output in university.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
- Finish with a strong statement.
1. In conclusion, though it is challenging for students to adapt to new styles of teaching and learning, they can be aided by empathetic teachers. 2. The new environment will always be an obstacle and part of the importance of university is learning independently to overcome it.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.