IELTS Essay: Good Citizens
Some people think the main purpose of school is to turn children into good citizens and workers, rather than to benefit them as individuals.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Many are of the opinion that the primary role of schools is to create good citizens, instead of simply working towards individual betterment. 2. In my opinion, schools should aim to elevate the individual, not impose conformity.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those is favor of this statement argue the value of a well-functioning society. 2. As the world develops and there are advances in medicine, safety, working conditions, and so on it is easy to forget that this level of comfort requires sacrifices for the common good. 3. Individuals must work at companies to stimulate the economy and the public must have a basic sense of community in order to live peaceably with one’s neighbors. 4. School is where this education can begin. 5. Teachers can explicitly and implicitly guide students to socially beneficial behaviors and educate them well enough to establish a viable future career.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Vary long and short sentences.
1. However, I would argue that focusing on the individual will accomplish the goals detailed above but also be mentally healthier. 2. Students who are taught to share, work well in teams, and develop their talents will contribute to society as a byproduct of pursuing their own seemingly selfish interests. 3. Moreover, there may be times when the focus on society will come at the cost of the mental health of individuals. 4. For instance, students who are taught to withhold their personal viewpoints in school, as is common in many authoritarian nations, may harbor resentment and not feel they can fully express themselves in a free environment. 5. Psychological research has shown that the key to healthy growth is feeling safe to express oneself without fear of reprisals and repercussions.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
1. In conclusion, although there is a valid argument in favor of social stability, schools should aim to produce healthy, industrious individuals. 2. Naturally, these goals are not mutually exclusive and the overlap should be emphasized.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.