IELTS Essay: Declining Animals
In many countries, the number of animals and plants is declining.
Why do you think this is happening?
How can this issue be solved?
1. There is widespread concern over recent declines in global biodiversity. 2. In my opinion, the clearest causes relate to human overpopulation and the solutions are for governments to prioritize conservation reforms.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The primary catalyst for these declining numbers is the growth of human population figures. 2. The global population increases yearly and this has a number of ramifications for the natural environment. 3. Most directly, residents require homes and that necessitates intrusions, as evidenced by the uncontrollable urban sprawl around major metropolitan areas. 4. This means plants and animals lose their natural habitats. 5. A more significant consequence concerns industry. 6. In order to provide food and various products and services for a large human population, corporations have razed entire forests, drilled for oil in pristine natural environments, and greatly exploited the natural world at the expense of wildlife.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You can have some long sentences like this to really argue your point.
- State the fullest possible result.
1. This problem can only be effectively tackled by governments. 2. Governments must establish clear regulations concerning the habitats of various plant and animal life. 3. A good example of this would be the numerous national parks established in the United States at the beginning of the 20th century. 4. At that time, industry was threatening to corrupt the majority of usable land and so the government and visionary reformists acted decisively out of a spirit of conservation. 5. Other countries that take similar steps will also be able to curb the relentless, and often thoughtless, progress of humanity.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
1. In conclusion, plant and animal life is at risk due to growing human populations and governments can best mitigate this threat. 2. Individuals should also play a small role by reducing their consumption.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.