IELTS Essay: Criminals Reoffending
Recent research suggests that the majority of criminals who are sent to prison commit crimes after they are released.
Why is this the case?
What can be done to solve this problem?
1. Historically, most people who were incarcerated commit crimes again after being released from prison. 2. In my opinion, this is related to economics and psychology and the chief solutions are governmental.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The causes of high recidivism rates are identical to the original explanations for the crimes in question. 2. The vast majority of criminal activity can be traced back to poverty. 3. Individuals who are wealthy enough to afford a good standard of living rarely have a motive for crime. 4. However, those who lack financial means to live a decent life are more likely to commit crimes and this is exacerbated for past criminals who struggle to apply successfully for work with a past offense on their permanent record. 5. Moreover, there are psychological reasons that may also persist. 6. Many criminals had difficult upbringings and do not have access to trained therapists who can help them work through their issues. 7. These causes combined are the reason that prison often fails to rehabilitate inmates.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Add more deatil.
- Include some long and complex sentences.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. The ideal solutions should be enacted by the authorities. 2. Firstly, governments must make consistent efforts to ensure released convicts can support themselves financially. 3. This might involve small stipends to help prisoners adjust but the focus should be on education. 4. An individual who has earned a high school or university degree or learned a skilled trade has little reason to commit crime after being set free. 5. Secondly, governments could overhaul rehabilitation methodologies. 6. Though society is becoming increasingly secular, there is research that suggests recidivism rates are considerably lower if a prisoner has faith in a religion. 7. Concern for one’s immortal soul is a powerful incentive for ethical behavior.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- If you have a second idea, be sure it is also developed.
- And the ending is powerful.
1. In conclusion, many criminals reoffend due to economic and psychological reasons and governments must take decisive action to counter this pattern. 2. Looking at successful models in other countries is also advisable.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.