IELTS Essay: Concerts and Plays
Not many young people in countries around the world go to and enjoy concerts and plays.
Why is this the case?
How should they be encouraged to attend?
1. There are fewer and fewer young people today who enjoy going out for concerts and plays. 2. In my opinion, this is a result of increased isolation due to newer media and this demographic could be motivated to attend by increased funding for these events.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The main reason that plays and concerts are declining in popularity for younger generations is the wealth of other entertainment options. 2. In the past, individuals could watch television, read books, and listen to music at home but would often opt to go out for live performances. 3. Now, it is possible to isolate yourself virtually from the real world because of the satisfactions available from social media, streaming websites like Netflix and YouTube, online music platforms, and the internet generally. 4. Therefore, spending money on an expensive experience no longer holds the same appeal.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. This trend can be best curbed by funding the performing arts. 2. Such funding would have to begin at very basic levels of education and continue throughout several layers of society. 3. For instance, governments could ensure there is adequate space and financial backing in the curriculum for classes related to music and acting. 4. They could also fund community outreach programs for children, teenagers, and adults in the hopes of encouraging greater interest in the performing arts and then couple these reforms with subsidized tickets for admission. 5. A good example of the efficacy of this approach would be the emphasis on classical music in past decades in many developing Asian nations and the subsequent popularity of concert halls.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
1. In conclusion, though young people today are more likely to spend time at home, alone on their devices, there remains a desire to go out and funding more performances would help encourage active participation. 2. Governments must naturally balance this against other, potentially more pressing, needs.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.