IELTS Essay: Celebrity Views
Film stars and celebrities often share their views on public matters that have little to do with their profession.
Is this a positive or negative development?
1. It is common for famous figures with large platforms to share their viewpoints on various topics. 2. In my opinion, though there is potential for abuse, it is a positive overall as they can contribute diverse perspectives.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Critics of the publicity celebrities receive for their comments argue they are not always well informed. 2. There are experts in every field, ranging from politics and science to sports and the arts and yet stars in the entertainment world possess outsized platforms. 3. For instance, many actors, athletes, and singers have become part of the anti-vaccination movement. 4. The views of health experts and epidemiologists are often subordinated to celebrity comments more likely to generate online traffic and ratings. 5. However, this argument is undermined by research showing that professionals are notoriously poor at making predictions concerning their own area of expertise.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- I end here by switching to the other side – the side I agree with.
1. Moreover, celebrities in film and music engender diversity. 2. The entertainment world, relative to other professional spheres, is made up of a wide variety of ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds. 3. Most actors move to Hollywood from a different part of the world and then later become stars. 4. In the music industry, listeners actively seek out new voices, styles, nationalities, and personalities. 5. These individuals can then provide the average person an insightful glimpse into another part of society. 6. The most recent example of this would be the awareness raised related to environmental issues by various singers and actors when they accept awards.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- Vary long and short sentences.
1. In conclusion, although there is risk that celebrities will be uninformed on a topic, their opinions are still important as they are typically candid, authentic, and diverse. 2. In this era of inclusivity, it is important to value all viewpoints.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.