IELTS Essay: Car-Free Days
Some people believe that car-free days are effective ways to reduce air pollution. However, others argue that there are other ways that are more effective.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
1. Many today feel that designated car-free days are the optimal method to reduce rising levels of air pollution. 2. In my opinion, despite other viable options, car-free days would be the best remedy.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Critics of this policy argue that governments could instead create laws related to industrial production. 2. Except for automobiles, the main causes of air pollution are resource mining, consumer electronics manufacturing, and textile fabrication. 3. If governments legislated strict controls on production methods, there would be a concomitant decline in air pollution figures. 4. For instance, in many European nations, companies have limited carbon emissions thresholds they can utilize in production and exceeding these numbers results in heavy fines and other penalties. 5. This forward-looking solution is also appealing since it would encompass the entire calendar year, whereas car-free days are more limited in their scope.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You can sometimes include the counterpoint here too.
1. However, car-free days would have greater impact due to their far-reaching implications. 2. Firstly, banning cars would massively reduce air pollution figures since cars contribute more harmful gases into the atmosphere than any single industry. 3. Secondly, banning cars would force motorists to find alternative modes of transportation that might then become habits. 4. A person who cannot drive to work once a week, may consider working at home or utilizing public transport. 5. If they find these options more efficient, then they may willingly abandon using their car on other days. 6. Over time, this could begin to shift mindsets in society and individuals might become less obsessed with car ownership as a symbol of wealth and success and start prioritizing efficiency and a cleaner environment.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Continue your development.
- Use a variety of grammar.
1. In conclusion, though regulation of particular industries would also aid in the reduction of air pollution, the banning of automobiles on certain days is the single best solution. 2. Governments should consider implementing and expanding existing policies that prohibit private vehicles.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.