IELTS Essay: Attention Spans
Many today feel that attention spans are becoming shorter due to the prevalence of social media.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Some today have argued that individuals now possess generally shorter attention spans largely as a result of the growth of various social media platforms. 2. In my opinion, though this claim might be slightly overstated, it is true on the whole.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who argue that shorter attention spans are not due to social media point out the influence of other new forms of media and technology. 2. The length of a person’s attention span was never a topic of consideration for debate before the onset of the digital age and the development of television, radio, the internet, and so on. 3. The stimulation from these technologies represents unprecedented challenges for humans who have not evolved to live in a digital world. 4. Although modern kinds of media lead to over-stimulation and an addictive craving for more, constant stimulation, social media is merely one distraction among many.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. However, social media is the greatest single cause of declining attention spans due to their unique design features. 2. Social media companies have specifically crafted their applications to provide momentary bursts of pleasure. 3. For instance, an application like TikTok is specifically designed to provide a stream of addictive videos under 10 seconds in length. 4. As their algorithm perfects a curated feed for any given user, individuals easily become hooked on short entertainment and their attention spans concomitantly suffer. 5. This is in marked contrast to the focus required to watch a film or listen to a radio broadcast.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, I agree social media has caused the average person to struggle with concentration for extended periods due to the manner in which these websites have been constructed. 2. Governments should therefore regulate them in order to mitigate the harms they cause for society as a whole.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.