IELTS Essay: Celebrities’ Private Lives
Some people feel that the private lives of celebrities should not be openly shared by the media.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Certain concerned parties today contend that celebrities’ private lives should not be publicized on social media. 2. In my opinion, the general citizenry has the right to be aware of the lives of various public figures.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Some hold the opinion that each individual has an unalienable and basic right to privacy. 2. If one’s idols are not engaging in illegal activity, there is no clear justification to publicize their personal lives to the public other than as a form of entertainment or gossip. 3. For instance, if a celebrity begins a new relationship, it is common for the paparazzi to photograph them in public and report private details online. 4. This is an invasion of privacy and may harm their relationship even though the celebrities have done nothing wrong. 5. The only injury in these cases is to the mental health of those being reported on in public forums with little cause.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. On the one hand, celebrities have a social responsibility to set a good example for the general public. 2. Modern media consumers, especially younger people, these days spend more time online than ever before, and therefore are increasingly vulnerable to extreme views and the easy of adoption of thoughtless political stances and bad habits. 3. For that reason, celebrities should regulate their personal behavior, including staying away from drug abuse, not espousing dangerous viewpoints, and focusing on socially beneficial actions. 4. Social media can in this way serve as a “watchdog” for celebrities by reporting negative press, which will deter public figures from misbehaving.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
1. In conclusion, I think celebrities should allow citizens to learn about their personal lives though social media, since fame is a privilege and they have a responsibility towards society at large. 2. Citizens should only respect their privacy when it is a personal matter with little public relevance.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.