IELTS Essay: The Function of Music
Some argue that music mainly serves as a way for individuals to reduce their stress and anxiety.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Many would argue that the purpose of music is to help individuals de-stress and relax. 2. In my opinion, although this is a key function, it is more important for music to uplift.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those in favor of considering music a form of relaxation point out how it is used by most listeners. 2. Though this is impossible to verify empirically, most would concede on an anecdotal level that music is primarily used to relax. 3. Students and workers on their daily commute and after a long day listen to music to forget about their anxieties. 4. Scientific research has shown that listening to any genre of music results in reduced blood pressure and increased heart rate volatility, key indicators of lower stress levels. 5. Though music is also used at parties as a way to celebrate and have fun, these situations are less common overall for the average subscriber to an application such as Spotify or Apple Music.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Add in as much detail as possible.
1. However, there is a higher function of music that relates to raising one’s perspective on life. 2. When a person listens to a beautiful and meaningful song such as “Jealous Guy” by John Lennon or “No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley, they are being lifted by the melody and lyrics. 3. Similar to other forms of art, they present a way of seeing the world that transforms ordinary life into an aesthetic experience. 4. Some of these aesthetic interpretations by artists may not always be positive, such as when a singer sings about loss or addiction, but they nonetheless ennoble and allow for greater understanding of the darkest elements of the human condition.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
1. In conclusion, though music is one way of relaxing for many people, I would contend that it’s most crucial aim is to enrich the world through a particular artistic interpretation. 2. It is still possible for particular listeners to enjoy music as they see fit.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.