IELTS Essay: Work or Travel during a Gap Year?
Some people believe that students should acquire working experience during their gap year instead of traveling.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
1. Some feel that if a student decides to take a gap-year it is better to work than to travel. 2. I am generally in agreement with this proposition as it will better prepare individuals to choose a university major.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who argue in favor of travel contend that after school, individuals may be too busy to travel for an extended period. 2. Graduates must typically either begin applying for graduate school or for positions in the workforce. 3. Once a person has a job, they will then only have limited time for holidays, most of which they are likely to spend with family. 4. This is why many high school graduates take advantage of the freedom before university to explore exotic destinations that require long flights like countries in Southeast Asia and South America.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. However, there is immense value in work experience that can inform one’s future career choices. 2. Most students are ill-equipped to make a career choice at the age of 18 and this is reflected in the number of graduates who switch jobs and never establish a career in their field of study. 3. By working for a year, not only will students have a firmer understanding of the challenges of the typical workweek, but they might also gain perspective as to what kind of work they enjoy. 4. For instance, a prospective film student who interns at a film studio may decide that they would prefer to work in a less stressful environment and subsequently change majors.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
1. In conclusion, despite the singular opportunity to travel that a gap-year provides, it is more important to work and learn one’s career inclinations. 2. There could naturally also be some balance between work and travel.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.