IELTS Essay: Weddings
Weddings are getting bigger and more expensive.
What is the reason for this?
Is it a positive or negative development?
1. Weddings around the world have become more expensive and larger in recent decades. 2. In my opinion, this is a natural progression and is positive in the vast majority of contexts.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. One explanation for more lavish weddings is increasingly higher expectations coupled with a burgeoning global middle class. 2. It is a natural desire for humans to strive to surpass previous standards. 3. Any person who has attended weddings in the past will naturally attempt to exceed what they have experienced both in terms of size and expense. 4. This propensity to exceed past achievements is combined with increased disposable income. 5. Economies around the world, particularly in developing nations, have risen dramatically recently, enabling individuals to spend on a variety of luxuries including memorable wedding parties.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Use short and long sentences.
1. I believe this development is positive overall due to the impact it has on the average person. 2. Admittedly, excessive spending in any area can be a negative if it greatly exceeds one’s earnings. 3. Assuming a person is planning a wedding that will not hinder them financially in the future, then it is a massive positive for the bride, groom, and all attendees. 4. Most people, even beyond those getting married and their family, consider weddings to meaningful and enduring memories. 5. The small and large bursts of happiness produced by such an event in the aggregate are worth more than a wide range of other expenses that individuals often prioritize.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
1. In conclusion, weddings are larger and costlier today because of raised expectations and this is largely positive given the impact on individuals. 2. It is nonetheless essential that weddings are not taken to extreme excesses beyond one’s means.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.