IELTS Essay: Value of Old Age and Youth
In some places, old age is valued, while in other cultures youth is considered more important.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
1. In certain nations, the interests of elderly people are prioritized over younger generations. 2. In my opinion, although young people are important for economic reasons, valuing an older population is a revealing commitment to human dignity.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who value the youth in a nation argue they form a country’s economic base. 2. There is little doubt that the majority of all workforces globally are comprised of young adults and middle-aged citizens. 3. The average working age in nearly all industries is around 30. 4. Young people have the energy, passion, and motivation to work hard and achieve not only for the good of society but also to establish a higher standard of living for themselves and their families. 5. It is therefore logical that governments should ensure younger generations have ample access to education and the resources needed to become contributing members of society. 6. They will contribute the most in all likelihood.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Use short and long sentences.
- Finish strong.
1. However, human progress is about more than simply utilitarian benefits. 2. In the past, it might have been necessary for human civilization to cruelly neglect older populations when they were fighting wars and resources were scarce. 3. That is no longer the situation. 4. Most countries, even developing ones, can now afford to provide healthcare for all citizens and some degree of retirement support. 5. By undertaking these kindnesses, humans distinguish themselves clearly from their basest and most animalistic instincts. 6. This can be understood as the surest sign that humanity is an evolved species culturally, socially, and emotionally and trumps any materialistic concerns related to growing already mature economies.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- This paragraph can be longer than the other one.
1. In conclusion, though there are utilitarian reasons to support youth movements, it is more important and principled to value older people. 2. This is already done in some cultures but should be more widespread.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.