IELTS Essay: Taking Care of Parents
Fewer and fewer children are willing to look after their parents as they get older these days.
Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Many people today believe that since children are less and less likely to look after their parents, this has a negative impact on society. 2. In my opinion, though there are decided social drawbacks, the advantages for both the elderly and younger people are greater.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who decry the perceived selfishness of children these days point out the vulnerability of the elderly. 2. Firstly, many elderly people suffer from chronic, degenerative conditions such as declining eyesight, arthritis, dementia, and more serious diseases such as cancer. 3. They therefore rely on the support of those around them and may not still have a spouse capable of looking after them. 4. Secondly, those on fixed incomes might need financial assistance. 5. In many countries, the social welfare systems are weak and elderly people who have not been able to save for retirement can find themselves living in destitute conditions or relying on soup kitchens and, in extreme cases, driven to homelessness.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific detail.
- Continue to develop it.
- Develop it as fully as possible.
1. However, the cases above are exceptions and it is more important for both parents and children to be independent. 2. Many children end up in a situation where they must neglect their own plans and family in order to spend time and pay exorbitant medical bills for the elderly. 3. This has an impact disproportionate with its benefits and younger people would be better off prioritising their own lives. 4. Moreover, the elderly themselves may come to think of themselves as burdens. 5. If they are constantly asking for help and impairing the progress of their children, then they have not done an adequate job as a parent to begin with. 6. A greater degree of self-reliance will preserve their dignity and allow their children to prosper.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- The more specific, the better.
- Add on any extra detail that you can that is related for a better task achievement score.
- This paragraph can be slightly longer but not too much!
1. In conclusion, despite the necessity of aid from children in specific instances, most families benefit valuing independence. 2. Therefore, looking after ones parents ought to be a last resort option.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.