IELTS Essay: Solution to Crime
Prison is the common way most countries try to solve the problem of crime. However, a more effective solution is to provide the public a better education.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Some would argue that although punishment is the most pervasive means of combatting crime globally, education would in fact be far more efficacious. 2. In my opinion, there are strong grounds for this opinion but ultimately deterrence remains the central core of all legal systems.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those who favor education are trying to resolve systemic issues. 2. There can be little debate over the fact that crime is overwhelmingly driven by necessity. 3. Individuals who have few other options in life are more likely to see criminal activity as a viable alternative. 4. By educating a population well and providing at minimum a high school diploma for every citizen, governments can effectively eliminate this motive. 5. For instance, countries with quality education systems are much less likely to have high crime rates.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Short sentences can make your writing clearer.
1. However, the solution detailed above is difficult to implement and the simplest method to discourage crime is to punish criminal acts. 2. There are many justifications cited for punishment but the most basic is the need to deter future crimes. 3. A criminal being put in prison does not reverse their past action but it does deter the same action being committed by other individuals in the future. 4. If there were no punishments or extremely lenient sentences, it is a near inevitability that individuals would commit crimes, for a range of motives, more frequently.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
1. In conclusion, education addresses the root causes of crime yet punishment is still a more effective preventative countermeasure. 2. A combination of both is naturally ideal.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.