IELTS Essay: Plastic Containers
In many countries, plastic containers have become more common than ever and are used by many food and drink companies.
Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Using plastic containers for various food products has become ubiquitous in recent decades. 2. Though this has potential drawbacks for the environment, I believe it does not outweigh the benefits to businesses and individuals.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Give your opinion.
1. The environmental cost of disposable plastic containers is massive. 2. Before plastics, foods and drinks were typically put into biodegradable, eco-friendly paper or cardboard. 3. The arrival of plastics has impacted the environment on two major fronts. 4. Firstly, plastic itself is a fossil fuel byproduct that requires crude oil for its production and later transportation. 5. The emissions from fossil fuels are often cited as the chief contributor to the hastening of climate change. 6. Moreover, the containers themselves either find their ways to landfills, polluting previously pristine land, or end up in the ocean, forming ‘land masses’ that are injurious to marine life.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Use short and long sentences.
- Use specific details.
- The more specific and the more results explained, the better!
- Fully explain any ideas you mention.
1. Nonetheless, the concomitant problems of plastic containers listed above do not override their usefulness. 2. For companies, using plastic containers is cheap and allows for uniform consistency. 3. This is the reason why they have been adopted by companies ranging from fast food giants like McDonald’s to local grocery chains. 4. This savings is then passed on to the consumer who enjoys cheaper prices and the many conveniences of plastic containers. 5. They are less likely to rip open and spill compared with paper and most families make use of them afterwards for leftover food. 6. If plastic containers for food items were banned not only would people lose these conveniences but many companies would have to radically alter their packaging, and potentially, products themselves.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea (the one that you agree with).
- Begin to explain your idea.
- Develop it fully.
- Keep stating further results.
- Add as much detail as you can.
- Don’t switch to a new main idea – just develop one fully.
1. In conclusion, the environmental impact of plastic containers does little to undermine their value for both corporations and the average customer. 2. It is instead important to explore innovations to make plastics more environmentally friendly.
- Summarise your main ideas and repeat your opinion.
- Include a final thought/detail.