IELTS Essay: Personal Information
The personal information of many individuals is held by large internet companies and organisations.
Do you think the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
1. There are growing concerns today about the storage of private data by major internet companies like Facebook and Google. 2. In my opinion, the disadvantages of this trend outweigh its conveniences.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. These companies themselves would argue their intentions are primarily to provide better services. 2. This relates first of all to advertising. Facebook, for example, tracks user behaviour and then allows advertisers to target audience segments in order to show them relevant advertising. 3. An individual might therefore see ads related to the kinds of restaurants and music they enjoy most. 4. Secondly, the information is used to create helpful services for consumers. 5. Google maps is a good example of an entirely free platform used by millions that follows individuals, sells information to businesses, and makes life more convenient without any obvious drawbacks or pernicious intent.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea here.
- Explain your main idea.
- Begin a specific example.
- Develop the example.
- This one asks for more than one advantage and disadvantage so make sure you have two in each paragraph.
1. However, the misuse of big data has begun already and will only become worse in the future. 2. The advertisements targeted at individuals are not always harmless. 3. During the last presidential election in the United States, foreign governments sought out vulnerable groups and fed them false information to influence voting behaviour. 4. Unethical companies use the advanced targeting tools in the same way, often locating vulnerable individuals and encouraging their worst impulses by indulging coping mechanisms ranging from fast food to barely legal pharmaceuticals. 5. This is only the beginning as this information becomes more comprehensive there are legitimate concerns that authoritarian regimes working in tandem with companies will be able to create all-knowing police states and human rights abuses will become the norm.
- Write a new topic sentence.
- Explain the main idea.
- Use a specific example.
- Develop the example.
- Be sure you mention a second disadvantage and develop it as much as possible.
1. In conclusion, the marginal benefits of access to personal information by private companies do not outweigh both current and future negatives. 2. It is therefore important that governments regulate companies and individuals attempt to take back a degree of control.
- Repeat your opinion and summarise your main ideas.
- Add a final thought/detail.