IELTS Essay: Online Communication
In many workplaces, online communication is now more common than face-to-face meetings.
Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Offices around the world these days are opting to hold meetings online to save both time and money. 2. In my opinion, despite the potential loss of a strong rapport between co-workers, this is a positive considered as a whole.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Critics of these changes often point to its effect on interpersonal relationships in an office. 2. The meeting itself is largely secondary as most information can be communicated just as easily through an online teleconference or an email. 3. True value lies, instead, in the moments before, during and after meetings when colleagues have a chance to socialise or exchange ideas about what they have been working on. 4. This is the reason some companies, famously Apple and Pixar, designed their offices to maximise opportunities for employees to chat with individuals from different departments. 5. The strengthening of social bonds and the sharing of novel perspectives can both boost morale and help drive innovation.
- Write a clear topic sentence with your main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop your argument.
- Use specific examples.
- State the results of your example to develop it.
1. Nonetheless, meeting online is more convenient for employees and saves money for companies. 2. When employees must come in for their work already, many of the benefits listed above are already present and meetings mainly serve as a distraction. 3. Remote workers will also appreciate not having to commute for a short meeting, especially if they have family or other working commitments. 4. Moreover, companies benefit from the time that employees save because it allows them to better allocate their labour towards actual work, thereby increasing efficiency. 5. There are also a range of costs that can be reduced once online communications become standard such as leasing less office space and savings related to office expenses and employee perks.
- Write another topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain the main idea.
- Develop it.
- Switch to a second advantage.
- Develop that advantage fully.
1. In conclusion, though communicating online can be detrimental to personal relationships in an office, they offer thoughtful conveniences to employees and help cut costs. 2. Companies ought to shift as much training to online as possible.
- Summarise your ideas and repeat your opinion.
- Add a final thought.