IELTS Essay: One Universal Government
The world should have only one government rather than a national government for each country.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
1. There have been suggestions historically for a single government that could control all nations. 2. In my opinion, there are utopian benefits that would result from this, however, the drawbacks related to autonomy make it a negative theoretical proposal.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Supporters argue a single government would be more effective and focused. 2. This is best illustrated through major problems that all nations currently struggle to solve such as climate change and the recent health crisis facing the world. 3. A single centralized government could better protect the environment by enacting strict legislation against the burning of fossil fuels and force all citizens to get vaccinated against Covid-19. 4. In purely hypothetical terms, such unilateral power could achieve tremendous ends. 5. However, in reality, there is a strong likelihood that a government would either pursue different, less desirable goals or be unable to enforce their mandates.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- This paragraph should be about the same length as the next one.
1. Beyond the infeasibility of such a world government, there are more basic reasons to oppose its existence. 2. Variety in government is valuable in itself. 3. Take for example the different governments currently in power around the world. 4. Each country has, to varying degrees, chosen a government that represents their values and enacts laws based on the kind of nation they wish to have. 5. The result is that some countries, such as those in Western Europe, lean more towards a socialist system that ensures a minimum standard of living for all citizens, others place greater emphasis on individual empowerment, others on transparency and still others on security over freedom. 6. This diversity is a defining feature of human society.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
- Vary short and long sentences.
1. In conclusion, a single government for the entire planet could help resolve global issues but would ultimately limit the distinctiveness of each individual nation. 2. Therefore, there are other solutions that should be undertaken to remedy the current crisis of confidence in government.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.