IELTS Essay: Offices
Nowadays, a lot of offices employ open-space designs instead of separate rooms for work.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Many offices these days are opting for open designs over more traditional, compartmentalized floor plans. 2. In my opinion, despite the limited advantages for efficiency, this is a positive change due to its social and work-related benefits.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. On the one hand, an open layout can reduce efficiency. 2. When individuals work in private offices or cubicles, they are less likely to be disturbed and can therefore work more effectively. 3. Each time a person is interrupted, this not only requires them to stop working but it may also take an indeterminate amount of time to focus again. 4. Over the course of a day, various interruptions in the aggregate can massively reduce the amount of work completed. 5. Recent research has in fact shown that communication around the office, though beneficial in other ways, does lead to declines in total work output. 6. An office trying to achieve optimal output thus should emphasize private working spaces.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Vary long and short sentences.
- Finish development.
1. On the other hand, increased communication is a boon both socially and creatively. 2. A standout example of this would be the offices designed by Apple founder Steve Jobs for both Pixar and Apple. 3. He intentionally created offices that directed individuals to meet in common areas and that would facilitate interactions between different divisions in the company. 4. The impact of this on morale is massive as individuals can make friends and enjoy each other’s company throughout the workday. 5. Moreover, the true intention of this design was to facilitate creativity. 6. By meeting others on a regular basis, employees are more likely to combine diverse perspectives and be more imaginative in their work.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- State the results as well.
1. In conclusion, although there may be minor tradeoffs in terms of productivity, this is a progressive change as it allows employees to converse and be more creative. 2. Such offices should become the rule, rather than the exception.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.