IELTS Essay: Neighbors
Today, many people do not know their neighbors.
Why is this?
What can be done about this?
1. In recent years, it has become increasingly common for individuals to be less connected with their immediate neighbors. 2. In my opinion, this is largely a result of a more insular society and can be somewhat alleviated through initiatives that encourage more community interaction.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The main reason that many residents today do not often speak with their neighbors is that the world is more physically isolated. 2. In past generations, people were more in the habit of going outside and occupying their time by talking with those living nearby. 3. Today, the rise of technology allows the average person to do a variety of activities online including talking with friends, watching movies, playing computer games, and listening to music. 4. These habits now occupy the vast majority of a person’s time and there is no longer a need to interact with one’s neighbor out of boredom or a feeling of connection.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. This modern tendency can be countered by more communal activities. 2. Since there is no reversing technological advancement, it must be countered through proactive measures. 3. An example of this would be a local government organizing a festival or musical performance in a park. 4. Neighbors who meet at such events are likely to form connections and thereafter remain in contact as either casual acquaintances or actual friends. 5. If governments are unwilling to undertake such initiatives, then local citizens can also organize various events. 6. The result over time will be a gradual thawing of relations between neighbors.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Keep adding in the result to develop your ideas more.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, the way people live today leads to less interaction with one’s neighbors and this phenomenon can be mitigated with more community events. 2. If nothing is done, society will only become more fractured and alienating.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.