IELTS Essay: Money
In many countries, people increasingly talk about money such as how much they earn or how much they pay for things in their daily conversations.
Is this a positive or negative trend?
1. It has become increasingly pervasive in recent years for individuals to discuss money matters on a daily basis. 2. In my opinion, this is due to changes in what individuals consider polite and is a decidedly negative trend on the whole.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The reason people now talk about money is that it is socially acceptable. 2. In past generations, discussing money was considered “in poor taste” and most people were reserved in order to not appear arrogant or desperate. 3. Today, many social norms from the past have disappeared and this includes ones related to the discussion of one’s finances. 4. This enables the average person to discuss money with friends and family as a way of coping with anxieties about the future or insecurities about their own status in society. 5. For instance, it is common for some wealthy individuals to show off by talking about their investments, property, and so on to impress friends and elevate their own self-esteem.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. Discussing money is overall a negative trend as it exacerbates an unhealthy mindset. 2. There are situations where it can be positive, such as when discussing potential investments and helping friends. 3. These contexts are the exceptions, however, as most people simply talk about money to relieve their own nervousness or as a form of bragging. 4. Once a person becomes addicted to the minor dopamine bursts that accompany seeking self-pity or self-aggrandizement, they will have a difficult time transitioning to more productive and fun topics of conversation. 5. Over time, a person may ironically increase their anxieties and insecurities by seeking to cope with them.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Keep adding in the result to develop your ideas more.
1. In conclusion, people talk about their finances as it is no longer considered rude and it is an unhealthy habit. 2. It is better to talk about to more important topics.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.