IELTS Essay: Having Children Later
Many people nowadays tend to marry and have children in their thirties rather than at a younger age.
Is this a positive or negative development?
1. These days, it is becoming increasingly common for couples to marry and start a family later in life. 2. Although there are risks associated with this trend, it is overwhelmingly positive as it allows individuals to lead fuller lives.
- Paraphrase the essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion and include your main ideas if possible.
1. Those who decry these changes can justifiably point out the maturing effects of marriage and children. 2. Just like going to school or getting a job, getting married and having children are milestones in life that both signal and push forward character development. 3. A child is an especially important opportunity for growth as parents must subordinate their own needs to a greater good. 4. If this occurs later, then a person may remain immature well into their 30s. 5. It stands to reason that this lack of character development will permeate throughout one’s life and relationships and possibly become more fixed.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop your idea with specific detail.
- Keep developing it and relating it back to the overall essay topic.
- Conclude with a strong statement.
1. Nonetheless, the statements above cannot be generalised to all people and are greatly outweighed by the freedom gained. 2. When a couple gets married and has children from a young age, they are sacrificing a great deal of freedom and opportunity. 3. Assuming they were not born wealthy, it will be impossible to focus on a successful career and also be an attentive parent. 4. The result is likely that they will either neglect their children, marriage, or career, all of which can instill resentment and foment future problems. 5. On the other hand, those who delay marriage are naturally more experienced and ready for a long-term relationship with parental duties as well as likely more settled in a stable career that can relieve the financial strain most young parents must withstand.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new idea.
- Start an example or a hypothetical example.
- Develop it by stating the results.
- Continue to develop it fully.
1. In conclusion, though raising children later can lead to a protracted period of immaturity, the advantages related to lifestyle are undisputed. 2. It is therefore important that companies and governments are receptive to this new reality.
- Repeat your opinion and summarise your main ideas.
- Add a final thought.