IELTS Essay: Free Education
The best way to reduce poverty in developing countries is by giving up to six years of free education, so that they can at least read, write and use numbers.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
1. Poverty remains a pressing issue in most developing countries, and one proposed solution is a provision of up to six years of free education, aiming to equip individuals with essential literacy and numeracy skills. 2. In my opinion, I agree with this approach.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. While free education is a crucial step towards poverty reduction, it is not a standalone solution. 2. Equally essential are adequate infrastructure, trained teachers, and quality educational resources. 3. Merely providing free education without ensuring its quality may result in a system that fails to deliver the desired outcomes. 4. Therefore, governments could focus on holistic educational reforms, including teacher training programs, school infrastructure development, and curriculum enhancements, to maximize the impact of free education initiatives. 5. For example, in China, alongside the introduction of free education policies, the government invested in teacher training programs and improved school infrastructure, leading to enhanced learning outcomes and noticeably higher student retention rates.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Use specific examples.
1. However, free education itself can significantly increase access to schooling, particularly for marginalized communities and children from low-income backgrounds. 2. Financial barriers often prevent children from attending school, perpetuating the cycle of poverty. 3. By eliminating tuition fees at young ages, developing countries can remove one of the major obstacles to education and ensure that all children have the opportunity to learn. 4. For instance, in India, the implementation of free education policies has led to a rise in school enrollment rates among girls from disadvantaged communities, encouraging them to escape unfair conditions and pursue better futures through improved employability. 5. This inclusivity in education can help bridge social and economic gaps, fostering a more equitable society.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, I strongly agree that offering up to six years of free education can be a powerful tool for overcoming poverty in developing countries. 2. By prioritizing education and implementing necessary reforms, developing nations can better empower their citizens and reduce poverty levels in the long-term.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.