IELTS Essay: Focus at School
Many students find it difficult to focus or pay attention at school nowadays.
What are the reasons for this?
What can be done to solve this problem?
1. Recently, it is has become notoriously difficult for students to focus on their lessons. 2. In my opinion, this is a partly natural phenomenon that has been exacerbated by technology and the solutions lie in strict restriction and supervision.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The causes of a lack of concentration at school are both the pervasiveness of technology and human nature. 2. Firstly, people have always struggled to focus. 3. Very few students enjoy concentrating on tedious lessons and completing endless assignments at school. 4. However, this has become worse as corporations exploit fundamental human characteristics. 5. Research has shown that the number of hours one spends on a laptop, smartphone, or tablet has a direct correlation with a shorter attention span. 6. The reason for this is that technology supplies passive, immediate gratification. 7. Therefore, students cannot focus because of a combination of human susceptibility and predatory consumer electronics companies.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You can have some long sentences like this to really argue your point.
- State the fullest possible result.
- Relate back to the overall topic.
1. The most feasible solutions are for parents and schools to monitor students strictly. 2. This begins with parents. 3. They must either approve or purchase a child their first smartphone or tablet and manage their early interactions with technology. 4. Many parents consciously gift young children these devices to help them learn how to use technology and aid their cognitive development. 5. By waiting until later in life to approve a smartphone or limiting daily screen time, this issue can be greatly mitigated from the onset. 6. Schools also have a role to play as they must enforce strict rules banning the use of smartphones at school. 7. For example, in many Asian countries, students’ phones are confiscated if they are found using them during, or even between, classes.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
- Switch on to a related solution.
- And develop that one too.
1. In conclusion, a lack of focus at school is driven by human nature and modern technology and parents and schools must work together to curb the worst excesses. 2. Government regulation would also help but should not be expected.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.