IELTS Essay: Early Language Learning
Some believe that students should begin learning a language very early in school while others think these subjects should be taught later.
Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
1. Many have argued that the earlier students begin learning a language in school the better. 2. Although this can pose challenges for schools, I am in complete agreement with this opinion.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Those against early foreign language courses contend it is not always practical. 2. In many school systems, the cost of such courses can be prohibitive. 3. More specifically, in more remote areas, teachers will often not have the ability to teach another language and it may be difficult to recruit foreign native language speakers. 4. If the schools teach a foreign language anyway, then they will have to rely largely on textbooks and the classes are not likely to be as productive. 5. This reality can create a situation where wealthier school districts receive a disproportionately superior education.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- The more detail, the better!
1. However, even when the conditions are not ideal, there is tremendous value in learning a language early relative to learning it later in life. 2. Studies have shown that languages can be acquired far more easily early in one’s education. 3. As a person gets older, the muscles in the mouth become more fixed making it more difficult to pronounce sounds from another language similar to a native speaker. 4. Their brains are also less flexible and this is clearly evidenced in the considerably slower progress for adults when learning a new language. 5. Attempting to acquire another language younger therefore has greater overall value for any given individual.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Keep adding in the result to develop your ideas more.
1. In conclusion, the effectiveness of early language acquisition justifies its inclusion in curricula at all schools. 2. This educational reform should be a priority.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.