IELTS Essay: Copying Famous People
Some young people like to copy the behaviour and clothes of famous people today.
Why might this be the case?
What problems can it cause?
1. It has become increasingly common for many younger individuals to imitate the fashion sense and general behavior of celebrities. 2. In my opinion, this is because of the commercialization of celebrity lifestyles and can result in polarization in society.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Many younger people now can follow influencers in a way that was not possible in the past. 2. This increased influence has been made possible by the growth of social media, whereby celebrities can post without a traditional media filter and keep their fans informed about their opinions, fashion choices, and lifestyle. 3. Companies have exploited their pervasive media presence to sell their products and services. 4. For instance, the Kardashians are famous for promoting various products and incorporating corporate interests seamlessly into their daily lives. 5. The imitation of these influencers is therefore a direct consequence of a natural human attraction to the advice of successful, attractive individuals coupled with a global consumerist society.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You might add a counterpoint here.
1. The problems caused relate to divides in society. 2. In past generations, citizens were more influenced by people in their general vicinity and less by individuals from other countries or in popular media. 3. Today, there is a greater chance that within any given community there will be individuals attracted to sports stars, K-Pop idols, American movie stars, well-known entrepreneurs, and so on. 4. Though this diversity has its benefits, it can also lead to fractures in the social fabric. 5. For instance, a young person who struggles to make friends may be attracted to extremist views online. 6. They may at some point become alienated from mainstream or traditional society if they find acceptance in racist, prejudiced or controversial groups, and imitate the famous individuals taking advantage of their vulnerabilities.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Continue your development.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, the rise of media and corporate globalization allows the general citizenry to imitate famous people easily these days. 2. Though this is not always a negative, it can lead to dangerous and polarizing behavior among younger generations.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.