IELTS Essay: Cookery, Dressmaking, and Woodwork
Schools should focus on academic success and passing examinations. Skills such as cookery, dressmaking and woodworking should not be taught at school as it is better to learn these from family.
To that extent do you agree or disagree?
1. A rapidly evolving world necessitates fundamental changes to educational institutions. 2. While traditional subjects like mathematics, science, and literature are undoubtedly important, I strongly believe that schools should also incorporate practical skills such as cookery, dressmaking, and woodworking into their curricula.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. On the one hand, teaching practical skills at home enables students to acquire essential life skills that are often overlooked in traditional academic settings. 2. For instance, many parents consider it a responsibility to teach their children knowledge of nutrition, meal planning, and culinary techniques. 3. By learning to prepare their own meals, young people can gain a deep understanding of healthy eating habits, portion control, and the value of balanced nutrition. 4. These skills not only contribute to their physical well-being but also empower them to make informed choices about their diet, leading to a lifelong impact on their health. 5. This process is best done in families where habits can form in the long-term.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Use specific examples.
1. However, incorporating practical skills into the curriculum promotes a well-rounded education catering to diverse needs and interests. 2. Not all students excel in academics, and by providing alternatives, schools can tap into the potential of students who might otherwise feel marginalized or disengaged. 3. For example, a student who struggles with academic subjects might discover a natural talent and passion for woodworking. 4. By nurturing their interest and providing opportunities to develop their woodworking skills, the student gains a feeling of purpose and accomplishment, boosting their overall engagement and motivation. 5. In a fashion class, a student can learn to design, measure, cut, and sew garments. 6. Both classes instill a sense of pride if students can produce useful wood objects or wear garments they have crafted themselves.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
- Develop your examples – don’t run away from them.
1. In conclusion, rather than relying on families, schools should prioritize incorporating practical skills into the curriculum while also maintaining rigorous standards for the current core subjects. 2. By doing so, students will have a more comprehensive education that equips them with both theoretical knowledge and practical expertise.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.