IELTS Essay: Competition between Older and Younger People
Nowadays more and more older people who need employment have to compete with younger people for the same jobs.
What problems does this cause?
What are the solutions?
1. In many workplaces, there is a natural conflict between younger and older employees. 2. In my opinion, this can impact staff morale in a number of ways and the best solutions involve competent management and hiring practices.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The ramifications of an age-diversified workplace relate to the environment. 2. When new employees join, there is often resentment from older workers who feel threatened or must compensate for their new colleagues’ inexperience. 3. If the younger workers are arrogant, this conflict will grow into animosity and result in a toxic workplace culture. 4. Similarly, if they are unable to quickly adapt to the company, older workers will likely become frustrated. 5. Conversely, there is also the possibility, particularly if the work involves emerging technologies, that the more experienced workers will lag behind and younger workers will feel hampered. 6. This can also lead to an unhealthy workplace atmosphere.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You should vary long and short sentences.
- And always relate back to the essay topic.
1. The solutions for the problems detailed above relate to management and hiring. 2. A company that selects a qualified young employee with a positive mindset does not have to fear negative effects on morale. 3. After hiring, management also plays a key role in dissolving tensions and preventing their initial occurrences. 4. For example, managers who know the strengths and weaknesses of their employees well will not team up workers with contrary personalities. 5. Additionally, by ensuring older employees stay current with new technology, managers will avoid the potential conflict arising from changes in their field. 6. Finally, the manager must also take steps to guarantee the workplace has strong cohesion by valuing contributions from all employees, setting a relaxed atmosphere, being transparent, and ensuring there are no double standards due to age.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Continue developing it…
- as fully as possible!
- Any extra detail will help you get a better mark.
1. In conclusion, the issues stemming from a variety of ages working together concern the environment and the solutions involve strong management. 2. In this way, these seemingly inevitable conflicts can be mitigated.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.