IELTS Essay: Company Sports
Companies should provide sports facilities for local communities.
To what extent do you agree?
1. There have been recent calls for businesses to contribute more to the local community in the form of investing in public sports facilities. 2. In my opinion, despite the good this would do for public health, it should be primarily a governmental responsibility.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The argument in favor of this policy involves the benefits it would have for public fitness levels. 2. Companies naturally gain from the communities where they operate in terms of sales supporting their products and services. 3. If they were to contribute to the building of sports facilities, it would have a major impact on the health of their customers, particularly in areas where it is difficult to be active such as inner cities. 4. For instance, in certain cities in the United States it is rare for less affluent urban residents to have the opportunity to exercise and therefore chronic health conditions such as obesity are on the rise.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
1. However, there should be no obligation for businesses to address this particular pressing social issue. 2. Corporations should be focused on being profitable and delivering results for shareholders. 3. Governments, in contrast, are tasked by definition with safeguarding public interests. 4. Citizens pay taxes and that money should deservedly return in various forms, one of which includes public health. 5. Governments have not only the funding but also the ability to undertake large scale projects. 6. They will be able to more efficiently identify potential locations and circumvent bureaucratic obstacles.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Develop the example fully.
- This paragraph can be longer.
1. In conclusion, though companies could help their communities by building these facilities, the duty of public health falls mainly to the relevant governmental authorities. 2. Companies should only pursue such investments out of their own initiative.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.