IELTS Essay: Children on their Phones
Some children spend hours every day on their smartphones.
Why is this the case?
Do you think this is a positive or a negative development?
1. Many today would argue that children spend too many hours on their smartphones. 2. In my opinion, this is a natural result of the conveniences these phones afford and is decidedly negative as it severely impacts health.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. The main reason children are using phones too much today is parents view it as a convenient option. 2. This is firstly a simple practicality. 3. Most parents are busy and tired after work and smartphones are one of the easiest methods to keep their children occupied and entertained. 4. It is a common occurrence to witness children on phones at restaurants and airports while their parents are distracted. 5. Moreover, parents can easily justify smartphones by claiming they help their children become better acclimated with technology. 6. This justification is self-serving, but there is a degree of truth in the fact that young children will be able to understand applications and how to navigate websites like YouTube and Google search.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- You might add a counterpoint here.
- Finish strong.
1. As far as I am concerned, the overuse of smartphones greatly impairs children physically and mentally. 2. Physically, using a smartphone encourages a more sedentary lifestyle. 3. A large proportion of children today are more likely to sit at home after school playing games, chatting, and scrolling through YouTube or TikTok instead of playing outside with friends. 4. Over time, these become ingrained habits and threaten their long-term physical fitness. 5. Intellectually, phones lead to shorter attention spans. 6. Media online, especially applications that have embraced shorter video formats, produce dopamine responses in the brain that then require frequent stimulation. 7. In contrast to a book, children can only gain these feelings from their digital devices.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Continue your development.
- Keep developing your ideas specifically.
- Finish the paragraph strong.
1. In conclusion, despite the convenient uses of smartphones, they hinder the physical and intellectual development of children. 2. Parents should limit their children’s screen time.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.