IELTS Essay: Advanced Technology
Advanced technology has brought many beneficial changes to the world. However, some old people today struggle with the use of technologies such as mobile phones and the Internet.
How can the elderly benefit from using advanced technologies?
How can the elderly be encouraged to use consumer electronics more often?
1. The advances made in the field of technology are not shared equally by all age demographics. 2. In my opinion, the elderly in particular could benefit more in terms of convenience and this could be achieved by businesses transitioning to primarily online business models.
- Paraphrase the overall essay topic.
- Write a clear opinion.
1. Improved capability with consumer electronics engenders a more convenient life. 2. This improvement would be immediately evident when shopping online. 3. During the recent Covid-19 pandemic many older individuals first learned how to place orders for food and other necessities online. 4. Since the pandemic restrictions have eased, many now continue to use these applications to shop for the best prices, remain at home, and be assured of the quality of their purchases. 5. Moreover, smartphones in particular today are essential for remaining in contact with one’s family. 6. Most older people value family relations above all else and would be able to make video calls and message their children and grandchildren if they were more tech-savvy.
- Write a topic sentence with a clear main idea at the end.
- Explain your main idea.
- Develop it with specific or hypothetical examples.
- Keep developing it fully.
- Continue with the same idea or add another.
- You might add a counterpoint here.
1. In order to achieve this level of convenience, companies should continue to encourage customers to engage online. 2. Older individuals will not be convinced simply by the benefits of technology as many may be stubborn. 3. The Coronavirus pandemic is again an illustrative example as it demonstrated that only when forced to adapt did older people begin to learn the full functionality of their phones. 4. Companies today are already increasingly emphasizing online orders and by phasing out in-person discounts and physical stores they will compel the elderly to adapt to modern conveniences. 5. For instance, hopeful travelers must essentially learn to navigate an airline’s website to book flights these days.
- Write a new topic sentence with a new main idea at the end.
- Explain your new main idea.
- Include specific details and examples.
- Add as much information as you can and make sure it links logically.
- Continue your development.
1. In conclusion, older people can lead easier lives if they utilize developments in technology that companies have already begun to embrace. 2. Naturally, children should also help educate their older parents about these benefits.
- Summarise your main ideas.
- Include a final thought.