Easy spelling words activity
This easy spelling words activity can be adapted to teach the alphabet or review vocabulary for elementary students or beginners. No materials are required apart from sheets of paper, pens, and the board. The activity may be carried out in ten or fifteen minutes. The activity aims at developing accuracy as well as a sort of classroom interaction.
- Materials: sheets of paper, pens, and the board.
- Level: elementary students or beginners.
- Aims: accuracy at spelling words.
- Timing: ten to fifteen minutes
Before you start the activity
Spell a name slowly to the students, writing it on the board as you do so. Ask the learners “whose name is it?” Tell them to try to guess as soon as possible, before you reach the end.
- Divide the class into teams.
- Spell the name of a student;
- Tell them to write the letters as you speak.
- As soon as a student thinks s/he knows whose name you are spelling, s/he should put up his/her hand.
- S/he should not call out the name till s/he is allowed.
- The first learner to put up his or her hand may try to guess the name. If s/he is wrong the other gets a point.
- Go on spelling the name till someone guesses right.
Encourage students to spell names to each other. This will probably lead to more student-student interaction and foster a learner-centred environment in the classroom.
This activity can also be used to revise vocabulary. You may spell words instead of names!
The students work in pairs. Each decides on a previously taught set of words and ask each other to spell those words. The may use model questions and responses like the following:
- How do you spell…?
- Can you spell the word….?
- Good job!
- Fair enough!
- Good answer!
- Well done!
- Try again!
- Sorry, something is wrong!