How to teach reading?
Reading is a complex activity. Not only may the content of the printed material be challenging to readers, but it may also be demotivating.
Teachers should be aware that teaching reading is NOT testing reading. Learners should be trained to use different strategies to understand the text. These include:
- Relating the reader’s prior knowledge to get the meaning of the text.
- Skimming the text to look for the main idea of the text.
- Scanning the text to look for specific information.
- Using the context to understand difficult words.
- Using graphic organizers
Here is the content of the presentation:
- What is reading?
- What is meant by teaching reading skills?
- Skills vs strategies
- Schema theory
- Cognitive processing
- Types of reading
In the classroom: how to teach reading?
- Principles of teaching reading
- Lesson plan
- Objectives and structure
- Stages of the lesson plan
- Some reading procedures